Thursday 1 July 2010

This is my first proper rant taken from Google Buzz

M Farber - Buzz - Public - Muted
Rant of the day #1
In this lovely austerity climate I read numerous comments around the net (and I don't read the Daily Mail) by British people who more or less say that unemployment benefits should be scrapped or substituted with meal vouchers as people who claim are just lazy scroungers as there are plenty of jobs around etc. They often add that they don't want to pay tax to support scroungers and people should be able to look after themselves etc.
I have never claimed unemployment benefits in all my life but I find it sad that people can be so angry with the unemployed and are repeating slogans without knowing or thinking. I think that a lot of people's anger is directed to the wrong targets and I find it very very worrying especially with the government we have now.
a) Unemployment has more or less doubled in the past few years therefore there are people who used to be employed and new graduates now claiming unemployment benefits, not just your stereotypical scroungers.
b) With £63 a week people have to feed themselves, pay for bills and look for work. Internet access is a must these days not a luxury. Cost of trasport to and from job interviews. And unless someone wants to go to an interview looking like Robinson Crusoe there is the cost of looking after themselves
c) I don't want to pay tax to support wars, Royal families and many other things but that's life.
d) Jobs around are mainly manual and unskilled or require a lot of experience. I know a couple of IT professionals who are very good at their jobs. They are also absent minded, accident prone and with poor people skills. If I had a restaurant or a pub I would never employ them. Employers tend to choose the best person for the job especially when they have many candidates to choose from.
e) I am a law abiding citizen, I always pay tax and even my TV licence :) but if I had no money to put food on the table for my family I will have to find a way. And I think most people would do the same, is this the kind of climate these people really want?
End of the rant of the day # 1Delete





2 people publicly reshared this - Chris Brown and Maitani *
4 people liked this - Denis LabelleGwen SuttonMaitani * and thomas morffew





M Farber - I have a very low tolerance level for this kind of things at the moment. It's starting to get to me maybe I should spend time playing video games or something.EditJun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



thomas morffew - +1Jun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



M Farber - I think I need to start a blog of rants after a pause lasting a few years. Blogger? Wordpress? Posterous?EditJun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



thomas morffew - PosterousJun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



Gwen Sutton - very well said!Jun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



M Farber - Still pondering. Posterous has the advantage of integrating well with almost anything.EditJun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



Maitani * - Thank you for saying this, Matteo. Here in Germany, we hear and read more and more similarly annoying comments, and I won't take it any more. I am so glad that there are some decent people such as you who speak out against this "Zeitgeist".Jun 15DeleteUndo deleteReport spamNot spam



M Farber - I know Maitani I find it disturbing. There are a couple of discussions these days about sending unaccompanied asylum-seeking minors back to Afghanistan. Regardless of political views the questions to ask would be whether it is safe for them to go back and what it is the best solution for them. Many comments say things like it is not our problem, I don't pay tax for things like that, they will steal our jobs etc. Nothing good has ever come out of fear and selfishness and I don't like this Zeitgeist at all.EditJun 15
<link rel="me" type="text/html" href="http://www.google.com/profiles/matteo.far"/>

No comments:

Post a Comment